Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Take a Deep Breath...and Jump!

Our public gathering began this week.

It was a success, much of what we are doing is unorthodox and unconventional so we have few examples from history to look at making it difficult to judge success. However, we have a deep desire to foster community, community in a deep and interpersonal way. I believe our first week was a step in that direction.

I was most pleased with the atmosphere of our first gathering. As we started it felt a little like a first date, awkward. However, quickly our group settled in and a sense of community filled the room. The vibe was open and engaged. I have no idea what to expect next week or the week after that. To confess, I long for a sense of control again. Ministry before now seemed very controlled. This is the advantage of working in long established places, work wasn't always easy but it was controllable. I have no control over what is occurring now, I simply trust God and follow my heart and values. 

I will hope things continue to go well, but for now I am thankful for the first week. It went well, we have a lot of work to do, but it went well.  

No comments: