Thursday, August 28, 2008

I earned some money 2day

Most of you probably know we managed to raise a housing stipend to help us make ends meet over the next 3 years, so technically I have made some money twice in our time in Montana. However, today I actually worked a job. I made $10.65 an hour for 1 3/4 hours at the Yellowstone Boys and Girls Ranch, it was orientation.

I recently accepted a part-time position with them working roughly 10 hours a week. I am a Family Crisis Case Worker, which is basically someone who works with a single youth and their family to help them manage emotional issues. (Anger management, etc...) A part-time worker can accept up to 3 kids at a time (30 hours), but I'll probably only have time for 1 because the hours are nights and weekends. These are the major times I try to meet with people, have dinners, etc...about the church. I sense I will like this job. Unfortunately as a leader of a ministry we often make decisions based on what is best for the group and not the single individual. Churches are built this way and it is a failed ideal, but it is nonetheless ingrained in our culture. 

Check the song "To Bring You Back" by Paul Allan, lyrics say this, "And I left the ninety-nine to find the one." Over the years I have had to make some tough calls with students and I always used the group perspective. I believe Jesus always kept the individual perspective, I hope to honor that with this job for now. 

Other part-time jobs: I have a job interview at City Brew a local coffee shop on Friday and I am still trying to gather up all the documents to apply to Substitute Teach here in town. Oh yea, I stuck my name in at the local Sportsmen's Warehouse for a part-time position. Pray for something to open up from 10-20 hours during the day time, preferably on MWF. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you didn't tell me you had a interview at city brew. i guess you weren't too old after all.

Ryan Tucker said...

they told me they hoped i would attract an older demographic.

Anonymous said...

They did NOT say that! Did they?? LOL. For now you are the free entertainment that sits in the corner... I think you should get a guitar and put out your hat! Very "coffee shopee" no? :)

Unknown said...

so we're now the older demographic. that's nice.