Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gas Prices


Today I filled my truck up and the pump cut off before it was filled. There was a $50 limit on the pump. I had heard about people with large SUV's and work trucks experiencing this phenomenon. However, with a 16 gallon tank I had never reached such a limit before. There is a first time for everything and today was that day.

Everyone seems to be sitting around waiting for the government to do something. Are u kidding me? It ain't gonna happen. We have to change ourselves first. Nothing of note in this world ever begins with legislation or for that matter from the top down. True change must be grassroots!

So stop filling up so much! U ask, how? Maybe walk more, carpool, take your bike, minimize your need to go out, use public transportation, etc... 

If you can by a hybrid, if not then buy a vehicle for what you use it for. To many soccer moms have SUV's with 4 wheel drive frames when they could do the same hauling with a Mini Van or Station Wagon for less miles per gallon. Don't forget guys like me! Stop compensating! Our big trucks, V8 engines and mud tires. Give me a break! Your a man already! We get it! All of those things are gasoline guzzlers. A few years back I bought a new truck. I wanted a V8, etc... I was raised in Georgia it might be a birth right to own a large, loud truck. Anyway, I didn't buy one, I bought the smallest truck possible with the smallest engine that has 4 wheel drive for the few times each year I need it for off road hobbies. 

I wanted the big truck, but it was wrong to buy it. Why? Our choices matter. They matter to our community, to our world, both economically and ecologically. THEY MATTER!

Lets stop whining about gas prices and start making decisions which will help us to become a part of the solution.

No comments: