Thursday, April 3, 2008

Final Four

The tournament of upsets...or is it? Four the last eleven years my wife and I have made out brackets and competed against each other in the NCAA Final Four. For the first several years she won most years. I realized about three years ago she was winning because about 99% of the time she chose the higher seeded team. 

So I adjusted my strategy and began to pick chalk. I have won two years in a row and with a little luck this weekend I'll win again. However, I don't enjoy picking my brackets anymore. I am bored with only choosing the higher seeds. I miss trying to figure out the upsets. 

Why is it that the NCAA tournament has an elusion of upsets? Life is that way isn't it...sometimes we have an elusion of reality, but the truth is actually chalk. 

There are 64 games each year during the NCAA tournament and only about 3 or 4 upsets actually occur. I do not consider a 7 over a 10 an upset. Despite my desire to beat my wife, I may go back to picking the crazy upsets again next year. Every so often I get one right, I never remember all the times I picked upsets wrong. And it feels good when you get one right. I picked the Zag's (before the Zags were considered a good team) over Duke in 2002. Man, that felt good! I hate Duke!

Life is about perspective, I would rather risk taking a flyer and getting it wrong than never knowing the thrill of being a part of something no other person expects.

No comments: