Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Public Library

I got a library card yesterday. I do not remember entering a public library before yesterday. I blame my father, to much of my youth was wasted waiting in the car while he picked up or returned a book or books. He makes several trips a week to the library.

So oddly enough I have never been or checked something out of one. Money drove me to our public library. (Jerry if you are reading this it will make you proud.) After my fly fishing trip last weekend I certainly have an interest in learning more about the sport. I also wanted to learn more about places near Billings where a guy like myself could take his rod and head down to a river or stream, a state law allows for public access of all streams inside the high water mark. My other agenda was to investigate potential camping areas near possible fishing access. Court and I plan to take a few family camping trips this summer and I would love to get out and fish a bit before her and Avery wake up each day. 

So I went to the library, got the card, checked the online card catalogue and found the fly fishing section. As you can imagine it was pretty large in a library located in Montana. I checked out 12 books and currently am working my way through them. 

Mostly, I got stuff about fly fishing destinations in Montana, but I did get a couple of how to fly fish type books. They are not proofing to be much help though. 

Still, it felt good to use the public resources and it showed some shift in my own nature. In years past I would have simply ordered several magazine subscriptions and books online. Only to find that little info was useful.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It's about time! I had my library card when I moved here the first week. I don't see how people don't go to the library & I don't even like to read that much. I automatically think you are smarter now :)
AH