Thursday, February 5, 2009

from the mouths of babes

My daughter, Avery, prefers to have her hair done in a hair style known as "Dog Ears". I only know how to fix her hair with a "Pony Tail". Being that I have worn a crew cut for most of my life I believe it is impressive that I can fix her hair at all. 

She doesn't think so, and often attempts to convince me to give her "Two Pony Tails", that is Avery talk for the "Dog Ears" hair style. I gave up long ago trying to explain to her ponies don't have 2 tails. This explanation is always met with an insistence that Timber has two dog ears and she wants 2 pony tails. 

On the days I fixed Avery's hair for the last several months I have convinced her only mommy knows how to give her "Dog Ears" or in her words "Two Pony Tails".

Recently Courtney bought some Detangle Hair stuff to spray in Avery's hair after a bath before you comb it out. I hate the stuff. It is greasy! So I choose not to use it. I prefer to work through the tangles naturally. 

Wednesday night I gave Avery a bath and she hopped up on her stool by the sink in her fashionable blue robe and asked to use the Detangle Hair stuff. I replied, "Only mommy knows how to use that stuff. Daddy CAN'T DO IT." 

from the mouths of babes...

Avery forcefully turned and replied with insistence, "Daddy, yes you can! DADDY YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!"

Only two women fill my heart that way, Avery is one of them. I often respond to her when she is frustrated with the thought, she can do anything she wants if she is willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen. Maybe she is listening.

Oh yea, I still didn't use that greasy stuff. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, I can just picture this.

Anonymous said...

I also do not like the "greasy stuff". I have always been impressed that you could get that little rubber band in that thin hair with those large fingers. Avery is so smart!!!! I miss you all.

Ryan Tucker said...

yea, i am amazed i can get her dressed, etc...

:)

Anonymous said...

Well my little girl is now 19 and these days its, "Daddy, I got my haircut, do you like it", to which I reply, "where"? And I also remember teaching her that she could "do anything" if she learned "The Power", a vague Galdalfish ability that stems from within all of us....but that's a long story.